Skip to main content

"...Loving People... Loving God..."

HOME
CONTACT US
ABOUT US
FIRST TIME GUESTS?
DIRECTIONS & PARKING
7 PURPOSES OF FLINT
CHURCH HISTORY
UPCOMING ACTIVITIES
MONTHLY CALENDAR
NEWSLETTER
PICTORIAL DIRECTORY
ABC's OF SALVATION
PRAYER
WORSHIP & MUSIC
OUTREACH & EVANGELISM
MISSIONS
MINISTRIES
FELLOWSHIP
DISCIPLESHIP
DEACON FAMILY MINISTRY
YOUTH & "HIS PLACE"
PASTOR'S PAGE
MINISTERS & CHURCH STAFF
URGENT NEWS/CLOSURE INFO

History of Flint Baptist Church


On May 8, 1824, the church now known as Flint Baptist Church was organized. William Byrd and Stephen Penn were listed as the presbytery. James Edens was listed as the first Deacon. Featherstone Walden was chosen as the first Church Clerk. William Byrd became the first Pastor and remained for about a year. Members listed were:

- Elizabeth Sims

- Lucy Edens

- Mary Johnson

- Mary Walden

- James Edens

- Katherine Kizer

- Jafes Callaway

- Rebecca Kizer Featherstone

- John Russell

- Cathy Hensley

- Nichademus Hackworth

- Walden Daniel (a slave)

- Peter Kizer Minney (a slave)


In June of 1824, a meeting was held and the name Cedar Springs was chosen for the church. The exact location of the church is unknown, but there may not have been a single meeting building at this time. They also voted to apply for membership in the Muscle Shoals Baptist Association at its annual meeting. The clerk was asked to write a letter of application and Brethren N. Hackworth, F. Walden and J. Edens were elected messengers.


The following are the names of the clerks in their order: James Douthit, James R. Lowery, J. G. Calloway, Richard' B. Allison, Wm. J. Thompson, Henry Calloway, Claiborn Ratliff, Hickerson Reeves, G. H. Hughes and H. A. McClellan.


The deacons, after Brother James Edens, were as follows: James Douthit, Jonathan Burleson, Samuel Jeffries, Richard B. Allison, Aaron Wood, Brother Kirkland, Edward Wise, James Herring, U. M. Crow, D. H. McClellan and John W. Gibson.


In 1828, there seems to be a period where the church had a problem with some member's lifestyle. A brother Sims was dismissed for “absenting himself from church, drinking whiskey to excess, shooting for beef (a form of gambling), and other things. One individual was dismissed, restored and dismissed again for drinking. A slave by the name of Fanny was dismissed for committing adultery after an investigation by “the sisters of the church”. Others were dismissed for things like, frolicking, fishing on the Sabbath, lying, and not fellowshipping with other Baptists.


In 1829, a disagreement arose that caused a split. A group left and began meeting elsewhere. We do not know which members listed above left and who stayed. Thus, the one church became two churches. It seems that the church up to this time had no house of worship, the meetings were held at private houses or at a school house. One place is mentioned, "Bluff Spring."


In January 1830, the church met and decided to build a meeting house. A site was chosen at Crows Spring. They voted on a new name and the name Mt. Pisgah was chosen. The church was deeded 2 acres by Francis Marion Crow. The first meeting held in the new church house was on Friday before the first Sunday in July, 1830. It was made a day of fasting and prayer. This meeting house was located next to what in now Mt. Pisgah Cemetery. The church voted to license Bro. Lowery, who later became the pastor. During this time the church met to wash feet. The number of members in August, 1830, was sixty-nine. During these early years, the church grew, Sunday School was established. The owners of negro slaves took them into the church into full fellowship.


In 1831, it seems that the missionary question which had been agitating the association was troubling this church. A Brother Lowery moved in conference, "to take into consideration the proceedings of the Muscle Shoals Missionary Society, and decide whether the members of that society were in order, for the reason that the church professed to be burthened by it." The church decided that the members of that society were out of order. A Brother Frazier refused to submit to the action of the church, and 'pronounced the church a tyrant, and urged it to decide on his standing. He was excluded. At the next meeting the church reconsidered its previous action, and decided that "joining a missionary society shall not be a matter of dealing with any brother." Brother Frazier was restored on making an acknowledgment to the church for his language.


In 1834, the church refused to hear a letter read from the Alabama Baptist State convention—why is not stated. Some difficulty arose between Brother Edens and some of the members, and the church called a Brother Furgison to serve them, but it is not stated whether he accepted. There seems to have been no regular pastor until January, 1838, when the church called Elder John Leigh who remained with them until 1841.


In April, 1839,the church was very much revived and had a very large ingathering. Thirty-four was baptized. Among the number were Rufus C. and Richard B. Burleson, and Joseph C. Vincent, all three of whom became ministers of the gospel. Dr. R. C. Burleson became president of Baylor University, Waco, Texas, and was there for many years; his brother, R. B. was at one time principal of the Female Institute, at Moulton, afterwards, he was a professor in Waco University, of which his brother was president. Elder Vincent was for several years a missionary for the Muscle Shoals association. He lived in Lawrence county, Alabama.

Samuel Wood and Jonas Wood were called to ordination by this church, in March, 1841.


In 1842, the church numbered 232.


Joseph D. Hopper, a member of this church, was ordained a minister in August, 1845. Elder Wm. Irwin was pastor in 1846-7.


In January, 1848, Elder Wm. Lucas was called, and continued as pastor until 1853. Until 1850, the number of members was 171.


In 1852, a Sabbath School was organized. In the fall of 1853, Elder Lucas resigned and moved to Texas. He was succeeded in 1854 by Elder J. Gunn who served the church twenty years.


Elders W. B. Carter and Wm. Duncan were ordained in August, 1873.


In 1875, Elder Gunn resigned on account of his health, and was succeeded by Elder Charles W. Callahan, who served one year. Elder Gunn became pastor again in 1876 and served until 1878. During the long pastorate of Brother Gunn the church enjoyed many refreshing seasons, and its numbers were largely increased.

During the war services were very irregular. There was preaching on the Sabbath most of the time, but very few conference meetings.


In 1878 the Yellow Fever epidemic caused this area a great deal of pain. People all over the country were much alarmed...Decatur suffered very much. About the time the association met at Mt. Pisgah (Flint), which was only seven miles from Decatur, the epidemic was at its worst, and there was general alarm among the people; the result was that the representation from the churches was small... [This resolution was adopted:] "Whereas, a dreadful scourge is sweeping over our land, and our fellow men are falling upon the right and upon the left, whether prepared or unprepared, therefore, be it resolved, that it is with painful forebodings for the future, we contemplate the tardiness of our rulers in calling upon the people to go in humiliation and prayer to the Great Physician who alone is able to heal them."


In 1886, a great calamity befell this church. A division arose among its members, concerning its pastor. This division culminated in the exclusion of about twenty or twenty-two of its members who would riot fellowship the pastor, Brother W. B. Carter, on account of some rumors concerning him, although the church had completely exonerated him. These excluded members organized themselves into what they called Antioch Church (present day Point Mallard).


In November, 1888, Elder John Speer was called as pastor and served until the fall of 1890.


In 1891, the building outgrew its seating capacity and was in need of repair. A new building was completed a quarter mile west of Flint and it was occupied the third Sunday in April. Bro. Jackson Gunn became the pastor and H.A. McClellan became clerk, having been elected two years earlier.


The associational minutes only give the report during this time. The church minutes were misplaced.


Bro Jackson Gunn remained pastor until 1896 serving for 20 years. The clerk listed in this year was H.A. McClellan. Membership was listed as 79 members. $2.35 was given to the General Missions, and $5.00 was given to Home Missions.


1893, the church listed 75 members, 76 enrolled in Sunday School. Preaching was held two Sundays a month.


1894, the church listed 77 members, 60 enrolled in Sunday School.


1895, $14.00 was given to Associational Missions, no delegates were listed as being sent to the Association.


1896, No delegates were listed as being sent to the Association.


1897, The new pastor was listed as Marion Briscoe, H.A. McClellan remained as church clerk. Membership was listed as 87 members, and 40 enrolled in Sunday School. John W. Gibson was Sunday School Superintendent. $5.50 was given to Associational Missions and vouchers totaling $7.50 was given for other causes. No pastor’s salary was reported. The church property was valued at $850.00. Delegates sent to the Association were George H. Hughes, R.B. Day, and J.W. Pettey.


1898, The pastor was listed as Marion Briscoe, H.A. McClellan remained as church clerk. The church listed 88 members and 40 in Sunday School. John W. Gibson was Sunday School Superintendent. $12.50 was sent to Association Missions. $1.00 was given to Ministerial Education, $60.00 was paid to the pastor. G.H. Hughes and R.B. Day were delegates to the Association.


1899, The new pastor listed was F.M. Yeager, H.A. McClellan remained as church clerk. Membership was listed at 96 members, and 59 enrolled in Sunday School. John W. Gibson was Sunday School Superintendent. $60.00 was paid to the pastor, $10.00 was given to the Associational Missions, $15.00 was given to the local poor, Church property was valued at $1000.00. G.H. Hughes and R.B. Day were delegates to the Association.

 

1900, The pastor listed was F.M. Yeager, H.A. McClellan remained as church clerk. Membership listed 99 members, with 60 in Sunday School. John W. Gibson was Sunday School Superintendent. The pastor received $129.20, $20.00 for local expenses, $10.00 in cash and vouchers to State Missions. G.H. Hughes, R.B. Day and D.W. Hanby were delegates to the Association. The Association held its meeting in the church that year.


1901, The pastor listed was F.M. Yeager, H.A. McClellan remained as church clerk. Membership listed 105 members, 74 in Sunday School. John W. Gibson was Sunday School Superintendent. $24.04 was given to all missions, $18.00 to education, $10.99 to the Orphans Home, $120.00 to the pastor, $10.93 was given to local causes, and value of the church property was $1000.00. G.H. Hughes was the only delegate listed.


There are no records for 1902 and 1903.


1904, The new Pastor was listed as A.W. Briscoe and clerk was H.A. McClellan.


1905, Pastor not listed, Clerk remained the same. Preaching was held on the second and fourth Sundays. Membership was listed as 113 members, with 36 in Sunday School. John W. Gibson was Sunday School Superintendent. $38.00 was given to missions, $24.00 to education, $32.25 to the Orphans Home, $34.50 local gifts, and $150.00 to pastor as salary.


There are no records for 1906


1907, The new Pastor was W.J. Briscoe and H.A. McClellan as clerk. Membership was listed at 131 with 56 in Sunday School. J.W. Gibson was Sunday School Superintendent. Pastor’s salary was $250.00, $6.00 listed as home expenses, $32.50 to all missions, $12.00 to Orphans Home, and $13.50 to aged ministers. Delegate was Andrew Hamaker.


1908, The new Pastor was I.W. Shelton and H.A. McClellan as clerk. Membership was listed at 79 members with 74 in Sunday School. A.A. McClellan became Sunday School Superintendent. $30.00 was given to all missions, #29.00 to Orphans Home. The church property was valued at $1,000.00. Delegates were D.D. Norris, and H. Bussey.


There are no records for 1909.


1910, The new pastor was B.P. Collier and clerk H.A. McClellan. Membership was listed at 87 members with 48 in Sunday school. T.B. Meadows was Sunday School Superintendent. The pastor’s salary was $120.00, $26 was paid to a visiting preacher, $10.00 was sent to Home Missions, $17.00 was given to Orphans Home, $5.00 was given to aged ministers. The church property was valued at $1000.00. Delegates were R.B. Day, D.D. Norris, and H.A. McClellan.

There are no records for 1911.


1912, The pastor was B.P. Collier and clerk H.A. McClellan. Membership was listed at 79 members with 60 in Sunday School. A.J. Hamaker became the Sunday School Superintendent. $120.00 was listed as pastor’s salary, $6.00 was sent to State Missions, $13.00 to Foreign Missions, and $3.00 to the Orphans Home. Delegates were H.A. McClellan and Luke Norris.

 

1913, The pastor was B.P. Collier and clerk H.A. McClellan. Membership was listed at 81 members with 58 in Sunday School. A.J. Hamaker was the Sunday School Superintendent. $113.35 was listed as pastor’s salary, $12.00 to a visiting minister, $10.00 was sent to State Missions, and $9.50 to the Orphans Home. Delegates were James Matthews, W.S. Patterson and G.J. Mann.


1914, The pastor was B.P. Collier and clerk H.A. McClellan. Membership was listed at 78 members with 48 in Sunday School. A.J. Hamaker was the Sunday School Superintendent. $200.00 was paid to pastor. $20.50 to a visiting minister, $40.00 to all missions, $10.00 for aged ministers, and $5.00 to the Orphans Home. Delegates were S.J. Mann, R.T. Sharp and D.D. Norris.


1915, No pastor reported. Clerk was D.D. Norris. Membership was listed at 77 members with 56 in Sunday School. A.J. Hamaker was the Sunday School Superintendent. $3.33 was given for home missions, $25.00 for ministerial help and $3.75 to Orphans Home. Messengers were W.M. Brothers, J.W. McClellan, and Mrs. J.W. McClellan.


1916, Bro. L.A. Noll was pastor and clerk was D.D. Norris. Membership was listed at 89 members with 56 in Sunday School. A.J. Hamaker was the Sunday School Superintendent. The Pastor’s salary was $200.00, $4.00 for home missions, $6.00 for foreign missions and $9.75 was given to Orphans Home. Messengers were W.M. Brothers, D.D. Norris, and C.E. Poole.


1917, Ben P. Collier was pastor and clerk was D.D. Norris. Membership was listed at 76 members with 47 in Sunday School. A.J. Hamaker was the Sunday School Superintendent. Pastor’s salary was $150.00. $11.67 to all missions. There were no messengers named.


1918, Ben P. Collier was pastor and clerk was D.D. Norris. Membership was listed at 82 members with 44 in Sunday School. A.J. Hamaker was the Sunday School Superintendent. Pastor’s salary was $250.00. $35.00 to all missions. Church property was valued at $1200.00. On October 8th at 2:00 in the afternoon, neighbors noticed smoke coming from the church roof. The neighbors came running to help save the building. With no fire protection, only the seats and pulpit stand were saved. The Methodist people, who had a church in Flint, invited the Baptist people to come and worship in their church. There they worshiped together until a new site was found and a new building was erected.


1919, In the later part of this year, the new brick structure was ready and the old church furniture saved from the fire was moved in. The church immediately voted to change the name of the church from Mt. Pisgah to Flint Baptist Church. This church was located on the west side of the railroad tracks in Flint on what is now Mill Road. During this year 25 churches including Mt. Pisgah left the Muscle Shoals Association and formed the Morgan County Missionary.  


Ben P Collier remained as pastor through 1922 with D.D. Norris as the church clerk. Membership listed 82 members with 55 members in Sunday School, Dr. W.R. Slaten was superintendent.


During the years 1923 and 1924 there was no pastor, the pulpit was filled by invited speakers.


1925 and 1926, I.J. Quinn served as pastor with D.V. Day as Sunday School superintendent. A senior BYPU was organized with 20 members.


1927, W.T. Cobbs was pastor with D.V. Day as Sunday School superintendent. Membership was listed as 79.


1928, C.L. Cobbs was pastor. He left in 1929 and returned as pastor in 1930 and 1931. D.D. Norris was the Sunday School superintendent. And remained such until 1937.


1932, no pastor listed., and no report to the association.


1933, Grady C. Morris was pastor. $120.00 was paid as salary. There were 57 enrolled in Sunday School. The missionary Society was organized with 11 members.


There was no pastor listed for 1934.


1935, I.W. Myers was pastor .


1936, no pastor listed.


1937 to 1939 E.E. Mathews was pastor.


1940, No pastor was reported.


1941, Dolphus Price was pastor with Bert Murphee as the Sunday School superintendent. Membership was 93.


1942, Billy Stephenson, a Harvard College student was pastor. No report was sent to association.


1943 to 1944, No pastor was listed.


1945, The pastor was Claude Baugher. Membership was listed as increasing from 96 to 105.


1946 to 1949, With Rev. M.G. Fields as pastor the church began a period of growth. At the entrance of Rev. Fields the church had membership listed at 105 with 73 in Sunday School. Bert Murphree, SR. was superintendent. In 1947 membership listed 120 members and 102 in Sunday School. D.D. Norris became superintendent.

His first year Rev. Fields pastured the church, he received a salary of $360.00. The following year his salary was increased to keep pace with the growing church.

Prior to the coming of Rev. Fields, the church met as a whole to have Sunday School. Curtains were hung throughout the auditorium to provide space for various classes. Rev. Fields initiated a proposal duly passed on by the church to provide for a basement with 3 Sunday School rooms, and a Choir loft with a room on each side. This was added on to the existing structure.  Membership steadily increased during the pastorate. The church purchased a rather elderly commercial bus, which held 82 passengers, and began a bus ministry. Church membership increased to 190 with 206 in Sunday School. A pastorium was erected just opposite the church and was occupied by the Fields family as first residents. Rev. Fields was also the first full time pastor of the church.


1950 to 1952, Bro. Jack Carroll became pastor with J.V. Ward as Sunday School superintendent. Membership grew to 206. During the pastorate of Bro. Carroll, the church erected an educational building two stories high containing 12 classrooms. The building was made of concrete blocks. A library was located in the downstairs of the new building. It contained 140 books. Margaret Howard was the first librarian.The church continued to grow in membership and as a result the pastors salary was increased. Gifts and mission offerings also increased. The men of the church organized the first Brotherhood with L.L. Matthews as the first president. The WMU had been organized previously by the ladies and it had grown to 50 members.


1953, There was no resident pastor. Pastors and laymen filled the pulpit on Sundays.


1954 to 1956, Rev. Al Funderburke became pastor with G.T. Hancock as Sunday School superintendent. Membership grew to 245 with 200 enrolled in Sunday School. Bus ministry was carried on through the purchase of a station wagon. The training Union had a listed enrollment of 132 with L.R. Roberts as Training Union Director. The Brotherhood membership listed 39 with Junior Hightower as President.


1956 to 1959 Howard L. Smallwood came as pastor and another period of growth took place which increased membership and ultimately set the stage for the purchase of a 17 acre lot one block north of the church. In 1961 the land was purchased from Bob Schultz at a cost of $10,000.00. Construction on a new church building was started in early 1965. The church sold $60,000.00 worth of bonds to pay for the building. Pews, chairs, and other equipment was purchased since the church was occupied the 4th Sunday in September 1965 for the first service which was led by Bro. Smallwood.


By 1969, membership grew to 314 with 217 enrolled in Sunday School. Training union membership was listed at 127, WMU at 32 and Choir at 42.

The value of the building and equipment was listed at $200,000.00. The building committee was Junior Hightower, Bobby Berry and Bill Hall.


1970, Bro. Smallwood resigned and the church was without a pastor.


1971, The church had it’s youngest pastor in its long history with the coming of Bro. Steve Tucker at the age of 17. Membership grew to 387.


1972, Bro. Steve Tucker resigned to attend Samford University. Bro. Floyd Parker came as interim pastor. He served until November of 1973, when Bro. John W. Hamilton came as pastor. He served the church till 1975. The church completed a new pastorium adjoining the church, valued at $35,000.00. A bus was purchased to help in youth work. Dennis Bain was hired as the youth director. The church reached out to institutions in the community; classes were taught at a rest home on Sunday morning. A special class was taught to patients at Lurleen B. Wallace Center. The church tried to reach out to a Detention Home located near the church. The church began a ministry to patients of the T.B. Sanitorium in the community. Improvements were made to the church facilities. Carpet was added and the downstairs had tile put down. A larger parking lot was began and a drive through canopy was added to the back of the church.


By the end of 1974 church spiritual growth included active youth and adult choir. Membership reached 444, with 306 enrolled in Sunday School. There were 181 listed in Training Union. Weekly cottage prayer meetings were held and a visitation program was started. Each member received a copy of the Alabama Baptist.


1976 to 1983, James Chitwood was pastor. August 24, 1980 the Church held a "note Burning" service.


1984 to 1985, John Whitlock was pastor.


1985 to 1992, Lucky Teague was pastor.


1992 to 1994, Gary Waddell was pastor.


1995 to 2000, Gary Cardwell was pastor.


2000 to 2010, Billy Cagle was pastor.


2011 to 2014 - Richard Richie was pastor.